Saturday, February 18, 2012

my creation!


The underlying issues of Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged start well before the terrorist actions of Roark & Galt.
These destructive actions are the actions of gods.
In Rand’s stories the individual becomes his own god and he assumes the authority of God, to destroy what he, himself has created.
Did God have the authority to destroy the world by flood in the days of Noah?
Did God have the authority to destroy the kingdom of Israel with the Assyrian army?
Did he have the authority use Rome to destroy Jerusalem in 70ad?
I think God does have this authority.
God created the earth for his own purposes, and therefore, he has authority to destroy it.
However, even though I say God has the authority to wipe us away, I do not believe that individuals, have unilateral authority to wipe away “our own creation”, as Rand implies…, regardless of how others may attempt to steal or distort our personal work.
The message of Roark and Galt is that an individual holds all authority over his creative works. But, I disagree with the objectivist philosophy.
You may think that I am being hypocritical on this matter, but, there is theological reason from the dichotomy.
Simply, an individual’s creation does not belong to the individual…, our creation remains the property of the uncreated Creator.
My resources are all the possession of God, the talents are God’s and the raw materials of my creation are God’s.
My creation has only one ultimate and legitimate purpose, i.e. it is to glorify Christ.
It is not mine to possess and selfishly hold for my personal glory.
If I destroy the creation of my hands, with the goal of hurting or denying others the value of the thing, as Ayn Rand depicts in her protagonists, then, I am dishonoring Christ and defying my Raison d’ĂȘtre.
Recently, my professional creation has been unethically and immorally looted or mooched by local business competitors on three separate projects. I was tempted to retaliate with an Ayn Rand technique.
Yet, this is not my goal, because, I am a disciple of Jesus, and being His disciple means that my perfect example is not Ayn Rand, John Galt, Dagny Taggart, or Howard Roark, but rather, my model is Jesus Christ.
If you want to discuss the specifics of looters and moochers and how these are the sins which precede the temptations of Howard Roark’s blowing up “his” development and John Galt absconding to the mountains of Colorado, I will be glad to have a cup of coffee with you; we can discuss morals or ethos, and maybe we can find out for ourselves; Who is John Galt?

No comments:

Post a Comment